Monday, November 16, 2009

UPDATE!!!

I've decided that I pretty much am horrible at keeping up with anything, much less writing about my life. But, here are a few snippets and snapshots.

I like to bake

As much as I can be modern and current, I am at the same time nostalgic and old fashioned. On any given evening, I have on an apron, old blues and jazz are setting the mood and either a glass of wine or a cappuccino is on hand while clouds of flour rise from the counter.

I am a messy baker. I'm not sure how, but I always end up streaked with flour. I just hope that it makes you happy when you walk into this lovely picture of hominess that I am so drawn to creating and that we stop regular life for at least a little while to enjoy these moments of baking and listening to good music written well before my time.


I write music


My days are spent in front of a piano and computer screen writing songs for other people. On good mornings, I sit on the edge of my couch with a guitar and my notebook & pen writing the beginnings and middles of songs that later on in the day will be worked out and scrapped and re-worked in front of that piano. I love writing songs. I love the challenge of trying to put the pictures in my mind into words that fit into a melody that somehow is magically plucked from the air and put into my imagination. If I am painting a quaint picture of song writing, its not a lie. For me, it is a very picturesque life-calling that I am leading. However lovely it is, it is also lonely. Spending your time day-dreaming of love lost, love renewed, love found, betrayed and cold or honored and winning and then spotting just your own reflection in the computer screen in front of you as you record these heros into a mic is a shocking reminder to me that I don't like doing this alone after all.
I am a collaborator, a person that would rather spend time with you than without you, a songwriter that, though shy of showing my newest creation with all its flaws and issues, would rather you hear the flaws than you not hear them at all. I never wanted to be a solo act. In all of the dreaming of being a "singer when I grow up" I was always in a band. Unfortunately, the hand that I drew in life has always played the same - I have to plunge ahead alone and later people will come along. Not that I am in need of support, I have so much, - thank you thank you my dear friends for loving me - I just dream of the time when I get inspiration, write it and then give it to my many musically talented friends to work, scrap and re-work with me. I have a wish that I lived in a huge house with all my friends and we all worked in our respective fields of talent and also tended a huge garden and ate popcorn and watched old movies at night all together. In this house we have a huge old grand piano that faces a large open door to the fields beyond and thats where I write songs and you play your guitar and Nick plays his drums... Oh, if only.

More on the Garden
This summer we planted a garden and enjoyed many tasty treats from it.

Baby Tomatoes


Baby Cucumbers


Baby Zucchinis


A very tasty sandwich featuring herbs, cucumbers and baby lettuce from our garden





This fall we began the composting.


Somehow we waste a lot of food: the outside part of the onion, leftovers we never eat, toast that falls butter side down, those things. I have always felt bad about wasting food and now we have a solution to the problem. We are turning waste food into plant food into good food.

No comments: