Sunday, November 29, 2009

Carney

I've always been a local band kind of girl. Back in the Washington it was Static and Soul Food 76 and little band called Shale - I also happened to be dating Shale's drummer so of course I was a super-fan. I pushed my way to the front of tiny venues filled with grungy, sweaty people, stood at the edge of the stage and sang every word. I'm a swayer, not a rocker. I sway.

Arriving in L.A. threw all my local band love in a tizzy. I didn't know who to love or where to find them. Of course L.A. is just chock full of music, but I love a band that brings more to the table than just a song - I want emotion. I want honesty. I want mistakes and new tries and old tricks and something that is real. So, I began my search. One random night years ago at Hotel Cafe, a hub of amazing music, one young guy got on stage to play one song. Just one. He played that one song with so much honesty and integrity. His name was Reeve and he was amazing. And so it began.



Back when Carney was known as Reeve Carney and the Revolving Band I fell in love with their music - how the band (whoever was available to play that night) would improvise for minutes on end, Zane would wipe the neck of his guitar with a handkerchief like an old blues master, the delivery of the songs was honest and stirring, moments where you forgot where you were because you've been swept into the music. And I just went to their farewell to L.A. show and spent 2 hours watching them play to a sold out crowd at the El Rey and reminiscing of the days watching them outgrow the capacity of Molly Malone's. While their musical style has grown edgier the old soul is still there.

They closed their set with Testify, one of my favorites, and I still got excited when I heard the opening riff. And for the encore, just as always, Reeve played the same song he played all those years ago with that simple, beautiful, haunting melody.

This is a band that I will miss being my local hero's.

1 comment:

krysta rinke said...

i saw carney (when they were the revolving band) when i first moved to l.a.

it was nothing short of a spiritual experience in the middle of a crowded molly malone's.

resurrection took it home. pretty sure it lasted 14 minutes ... tears. all tears as i realized how much being in the presence of true musicianship rocked my world.

at least now i know i can geek out with you next time about them :)